In comparison to traditional designs, are corner sofas any good? It’s become impossible to not notice them, sectionals have become a feature piece in almost every contemporary furniture store in the #Singapore.
Their popularity has risen from the fact that they work well in both large and small spaces alike. At first glance, it’s easy to assume that these sofas are bulky and overbearing, but they are actually an incredibly efficient use of your space.
If you’re not sure they are the right choice for you, read on as we answer the most common questions we are asked about these comfy seats.
Corner sofas – what are they and how do they work
A corner sofa is a sofa that has some of its seats arranged at a right angle to the others. Most are L shaped with one edge being shorter than the other. You can also find styles where both sides are of equal length.
They vary in their sizes and configurations with the option for customization from this large Helmut Sofa by Longhi to compact versions like the Denny Sofa by Gamma & Dandy.
It’s important to note that unless you’re buying a modular sofa, your corner sofa will come as either left or right-arm style. This simply indicates which side the short edge will be on. To avoid being confined to a left or right side, opt for modular styles. These are made up of individual pieces joined together, so you can move each around to create the layout you need.
The simplest kind of modular corner sofa is just a simple extension that you can put next to an ordinary sofa to create a second edge. This could have a back and arm, or it could be in the form of a backless seat that can also be put elsewhere in the room as a footstool or ottoman.
Pros and cons of corner sofas
- Great for small Rooms: If you have a small living room, the l-shaped sofa will be great for your living area and it can accommodate more people.
- Additional features – can come with extra features like ottomans, end tables, recliners, adjustable headrests, or even mobile phone docks make the sofa super cool.
- Great for entertainers – configuration is conducive for close interactions with friends and provides an excellent view for watching shows on television.
- Saves money: Compared to the price of buying the entire living room set, the price of a single corner sofa is low and it gives you what you need for living room furniture.
- Comfortable: The sectional couches are very comfortable since they are covered with quality leather or microfiber fabric. Some have reclining seats for more comfort.
- Free up extra space: The sofa can be placed in the corner of the living room creating some extra space for other furniture.
- Flexibility: not every living room will be suited to a left or right-arm corner sofa.
- Obstruct doorways or windows: In a small living room, the sectional sofa can obstruct the doorway or windows near it.
- Difficult cleaning: It is difficult to clean in between the segments if you don’t have a vacuum cleaner.
- Expensive To reupholster: It will take more time and material to upholster compared to traditional sofas.
Who should buy a corner sofa
You will benefit from corner sofas if you want to create a lot of seating but have a small living room. A sectional will give you more lounging room without taking up a lot of floor space.
Secondly, if you have an unconventionally shaped space, placing a sofa in an awkward corner might be the only way to create a cohesive layout.
Alternatively, if you have a large open-plan living area, and L shaped sofa will be the best way to define zones by separating the TV area from the rest of the space
How to style a corner sofa in your home
Corner sofas give you plenty of room to show off your styling.
The first step is to choose one in a fabric that compliments your current theme. As it will become the main piece of furniture, use your sectional to tie your design aesthetic together.
With your design chosen, add a coffee table, bookshelves, and lamp tables around your sofa. If you have created a very moody room with dark decor, add lamps beside or behind your sofa. These will draw attention to your beautiful piece of furniture.
Soften up your sectional by adding cushions and throws. You can keep it minimalist by using neutrals or use bright patterns for visual interest.
Complete the look by laying a beautiful rug by your seat. depending on your look, you can use a rich fuzzy style or an artful one that will inject a pop of colour into the room.
If you are in Singapore and is in need of an update for your couch to these fabrics, then contact us. The usual cost for reupholster/upholstery will start from SGD $1200 and above for a 2 seater or SGD $680 and above for an armchair. If you custom made a sofa in Singapore, the price starts from $3400 onwards. Ask for over stocked fabrics and you may even get a better price. Whatapps photos of your sofa and size to (+65 90305057 , Vince ) you can speak directly to us or email: info(at)centrepiece.com.sg to discuss your order. We don’t have call centres or customer service departments, you speak directly to the people making your sofa. Restoring beauty and beyond – Reupholstery SGShop @: Centrepiece Lazada Find sales/clear stock @ : CarousellStay Connected centrepiece
Contact www.centrepiece.com.sg or email: info(at)centrepiece.com.sg
Note: If you are a new customer, and you need the upholster to do home visit, a SGD $50 will apply for upholstery services. This amount can be factor into the total cost if you subsequently accept the quote and use our services. For existing customers, first time on site consultation fees may be waived.